Smart Tips for Small Spaces
Our newest display home The Lakebreeze, is a downsizer. When it comes to small spaces, you need to be clever about the design, layout and storage options in the home, to make the most of every inch! Here are some smart tips for small spaces:
1. Maximise window space - use window treatments that allow for maximum light, to make a room feel open and bright. Sheers are a great way to let natural light in, but allow for privacy. Ceiling to floor sheers or curtains lengthen the window and make it appear big and grand!
2. Built in storage - storage is one of the most common questions we get asked about, and is one of the best mod cons you can build into your new home to make life easier. Built in wardrobes with shelf fitouts, floor to ceiling kitchen cabinets, linen cupboards, bathroom cabinets are all common storage ideas. Built in bookcases in a study or second living room are clever storage spaces that can also be a design feature.
3. Choose simple furniture - simple pieces, with clean lines and no patterns, makes the room feel less cluttered and more relaxing. A bed with storage underneath - either drawers, or space big enough to hide things underneath.
4. Go digital - chunky photo albums, extensive CD (cassettes? vinyl?!) and dvd collections, are hard to take with you to the modern era. Frame the special photos, store the rest on your computer (back it up on a hard drive!). Same with music, movies, tv shows - with itunes, netflix, stan, presto, foxtel - the streaming options are endless and head spinning.
5. Make furniture or decorative items functional - use an ottoman or tray tables as your coffee table. Bench seats can double as drawers for storage. Put a fruitbowl with lots of bright coloured fruit on your table instead of a dust collecting knick knack.
Embrace the small space!